Retire First has procedures to ensure that complaints are dealt with effectively, fairly, and expeditiously.
Retire First has an appointed Designated Complaints Officer (DCO). The DCO can be emailed at [email protected] , phone 403-314-5553, by mail at Retire First Ltd. 101, 4610 49 Ave. Red Deer, AB T4N 6M5.
Definition of a Complaint
A “complaint” must be submitted by a client, or a person authorized to act on behalf of a client, and includes:
- Any written, electronic, or verbal recording of an expression of dissatisfaction with Retire First or a Retire First employee or agent alleging misconduct; and
- Any verbal expression of dissatisfaction with Retire First or a Retire First employee or agent alleging misconduct that would require an internal investigation based on the circumstances, or the nature or severity of the alleged misconduct.
At account opening, Retire First will provide you with a written summary of Retire First’s complaint handling procedures in the Terms and Conditions Booklet.
A copy of the IIROC complaint handling process brochure will be provided as part of our Welcome Kit with copies of your account documents.
Retire First’s written summary of its complaint handling procedures is available on our website under “Contact Us”.
Complaint Handling Procedures
The DCO will conduct a preliminary investigation of all complaints.
The DCO will send an acknowledgement letter to you within five (5) business days of receipt of a written complaint. The acknowledgement letter will include the following:
Complaint Acknowledgement Letter
- The name, title, and full contact information of the DCO;
- A statement indicating that the client should contact the DCO at RETIRE FIRST if they would like to inquire about the status of their complaint;
- An explanation of RETIRE FIRST’s internal complaint handling process, including but not limited to the role of the DCO;
- A copy of the Arbitration/Ombudsman brochure
- a copy of the IIROC complaint handling process brochure and a reference to the statutes of limitations contained in the document;
- The ninety (90) days timeline for RETIRE FIRST to provide a substantive response to the complaint; and
- A request for any information reasonably required to investigate the complaint.
- If the complaint is verbal, a request for you to put the full details of your complaint in writing.
Substantive Response Letter
RETIRE FIRST will send a substantive response letter to you along with a copy of IIROC’s complaint handling process brochure no later than ninety (90) days from the date of receipt of the complaint.
If, for some reason, the DCO will not be able to send the letter to you within the ninety (90) day time frame then you will be advised in writing with the reasons for the delay and the new estimated time of completion.
The letter to you will include the following information:
- a summary of the complaint;
- the results of the investigation;
- the final decision on the complaint, including an explanation; and a statement describing the options available to you if you are not satisfied with the response, including:
- if a request is made within 180 days from the date of the letter, the ombudsperson service provided by the OBSI
- submitting a regulatory complaint to IIROC for an assessment of whether disciplinary action is warranted;
- litigation / civil action; and
- other applicable options